Research: P. knowlesi genomics
- We have developed a method to extract P. knowlesi
DNA from frozen clinical blood samples to generate P. knowlesi genome sequences.
- Extracted DNA was of sufficient quality to produce high coverage genome sequences from six patient isolates.
- Using a combination of whole genome sequencing and targeted deep sequencing we will produce comprehensive P. knowlesi DNA sequence from at least 100 clinically well characterised patients in our sample archive.
- The sequences provide a rich resource for comparative genomics, P. knowlesi diversity and identifying virulence loci genome wide.
- Preliminary data from six isolates has identified variation on loci associated with drug resistance in other Plasmodium species.