Applications are invited from outstanding early career clinical academics (medical or dental) for five-year tenure track senior research fellowships to be held in one of the five Scottish universities with Medical or Dental Schools.
The scheme aims to support outstanding clinical scientists in their transition to leadership and provides an attractive research-focussed entry point to a permanent clinical academic career in one of five excellent research environments. The Academy of Medical Sciences is assisting in this scheme and those appointed will be invited to join the Academy’s Mentoring programme.
The scheme is funded by a partnership between the Chief Scientist’s Office, Scottish NHS Boards (which together support NRS) and the universities of Aberdeen, Dundee, Edinburgh, Glasgow and St Andrews. Please note that this will be the final round from current committed funding of this Fellowship scheme.
All applicants should have:
- post-doctoral (PhD/MD) research experience
- a strong publication record in your discipline
- have won competitive research or fellowship funding prior to application
All applicants require support from the Head of the Medical/Dental School. Potential applicants are encouraged to make specific enquires of each of the partner universities (details provided in ‘Further Particulars’, below)
How to apply
Please review the ‘Further Particulars’ for details of how to make an application. Candidates are advised to review this information well in advance of the closing date. Shortlisted applicants will be invited to interview in Edinburgh on Friday 1 November 2019.
All applications must be received by 5pm on Monday 10 June 2019 via Universities Scotland by email to Heather Sloan (email@example.com).
Queries regarding eligibly should be directed to the potential host university.
Closing date: 5pm on 10 June 2019
Posts will be held on the clinical academic consultant scale (which is currently £80,653 – £107,170) and will commence on a date agreed with the host institution. (Commencement must be within six months of the interview date.)
Equality and diversity
We welcome applications from all sections of the community.
All five medical schools are committed to the Athena SWAN Charter principles and hold departmental awards to recognise their commitment to gender equality.
Detail of the Scheme
The Scheme offers:
- five years of protected time in which to develop an internationally competitive research programme
- progression to a permanent clinical academic appointment, subject to satisfactory progress which should be formally assessed by the host university
- the flexibility to be appointed to the Scottish university most suited to the applicant’s interests
- independent mentorship organised by the Academy of Medical Sciences
- five years of support for a research assistant (£35K/year total salary costs), research consumables (£23K/year) and a contribution to the costs of one PhD student over the five year period (£60K)
Host institutions will be supportive of early career clinical academics who:
- have post-doctoral research experience subsequent to a research training period leading to a PhD or MD
- can demonstrate an exceptional record of discovery evidenced by high quality publications in their discipline
- have obtained competitive fellowship or research funding prior to application
- can present research proposals that are likely to lead to further high quality publications and external research funding, and which synergise with the institution’s research strategy
- will be eligible by October 2019 for independent clinical practice in Scotland
Further details and the details for the application process can be found on the Chief Scientist Office website